For Workspaces, Bitrise supports connecting to self-hosted GitLab instances. Connecting is simple, and once it’s done, you can add apps to Bitrise from privately hosted repositories in the usual way. All functions that you got used to with publicly hosted repositories will be available!
Setting up an app that is in a self-hosted GitLab repository is very simple: Bitrise needs to be authorized as an application for the entire GitLab instance and then the Application Id and the Secret value belonging to the Bitrise OAuth application must be added to the Workspace on bitrise.io.
Connect a self-hosted GitLab instance with Bitrise ⚓
- Log in to your GitLab instance with root privileges. If you connect to Bitrise without root privileges, your Workspace’s other team members will not have access to the repository on the GitLab instance.
- Go to the admin area by clicking the little wrench icon on the top menu bar.
On the left menu bar, select Applications, then click New Application.
- In the Name field, enter a name that clearly identifies the application. For the sake of simplicity, we recommend Bitrise.
- In the Redirect URI field, enter
In the Scopes menu, check api.
Click Submit. On the next page, you should see an Application Id and a Secret. You’ll need both to connect to your GitLab instance on bitrise.io.
- Go to your Workspace’s profile page on bitrise.io.
- Select the Connected Accounts option on the left menu bar.
- Add your self-hosted GitLab credentials:
- App ID
- Self-hosted URL
You are done! Now you are able to access your privately hosted repositories with Bitrise.
Add a new app from a self-hosted GitLab repository ⚓
Before you start, make sure you created an OAuth application in your self-hosted GitLab instance.
- Log in to bitrise.io and click the + symbol on the top menu bar and select Add app from the options.
- Choose a Workspace account.
- When prompted to select your Git provider, select GitLab. Select the Self-hosted option.
- If you haven’t provided your self-hosted GitLab credentials to the Workspace before, you can do it at this stage.
- Click Connect.
Once connected, proceed as usual to setting up your project configuration.
To take full advantage of all the features Bitrise offers, including automatic webhook registration, you need to connect your GitHub/GitLab/Bitbucket account to your Bitrise account.